lord macaullay laughing………….


Most of the central schools force their students to speak in English. It’s a fact and more and more parents send their kids to such schools because they provide good quality education. For both of them they have their own justifications, parents say English education will secure the future of their children while the school management say it will add to the status of the school; but my question to both of them is like this : have we got freedom from the English speaking people who ruled and ruined our motherland?



First of all I should make it clear that I am not an anti English nor am a hard core mother tongue lover. I studied in a local school where I could speak my own mother tongue with my friends. As a respect to the state which I am living the interaction between us and our teachers was in regional language. Still my medium was in English, I studied physics and maths in English, wrote exams in English, and I had no problems with that. Though I am a bit weak in speaking English, otherwise I am not very bad in writing it. People could argue that if I studied in a ‘high standard’ school I could have spoken English very smoothly by now, but I would say if I were to chose between my mother and money I will certainly chose my mother, and my mother land and mother tongue is my mother herself.



So coming back to my topic, I am against imposing a foreign language on Indian students. Let them make students speak English during class hours, but if they are trying to monitor the interaction between the students and suppress their mother tongue, then the teachers and the school management are no worse than the terrorists. It is totally unacceptable when two kids who are neighbours from childhood , who played and talked in their own language, suddenly when they got admission in a ‘High Standard’ school are asked to forget their language which their mothers had taught them and switch to English. Why have we so degraded? Why do we still think English is superior ? Who has taught us this nonsense? Has Macaulay succeeded in making Indians lose their culture and slaves to the English.. its shocking to see even the central schools run by Indian government is also following the same policy!! English has got so much importance, I can not disagree because without English I could not have written this. I Respect the fact that English knowledge can not be compromised in this modern and global world, but is this way to do so ? is the insult and suppression of regional language a necessity to promote English ? if any language fail to coexist with a regional language, the problem is with the foreign language itself!!



What is worse is some schools even give cruel punishments to kids who accidently speak their mother tongue..!! many cases of torture and suicides in thae name of discipline has become a fashion in various part of this country? Where are we heading to? Aren’t we spoiling the unique culture and languages of this motherland by not allowing our next generation to use it? Who is ruling India now ? is it the british government or their puppets? Why such an inferiority complex ? when the germans and Americans are doing research in Sanskrit and Other Indian languages on their effect and benefits , we are here trying to be slaves of the English ? what can be worse than this?



We might had a great past, but I am sorry to say that we were/ are the worst cowards and pessimistic group of people in this world.. look at the Chinese, the French,they all speak and study in their own languages. They transalate the English works in their language and make their students learn it, while we transalate our language in to English and make our kids study it? We lack the spirit, we lack spine, and hence we are the weakest.. lord macuallay might be laughing on how he could fool us so easily ??





जननी जन्माभूमिश्च स्वर्गादपि गरीयसी





read me @ http://ashokmkini.wordpress.com/

1 comment:

Ranganaathan said...

Truly worrying trend, everyone is forcing English as the only medium, looks like Macaulay's ploy has succeded. As rightly said every nation has one lang, with of course different dialects. We should introduce Samskritam in our schools. Vande Mataram